Silver Creek and Stephenson Railroad Equipment

2954 S. Walnut Rd
Freeport, IL 61032
Map This Location
815-235-2198 (On days when train runs)
815-232-2306 (Other days)

Index of equipment categories:

Locomotives Cabooses Open Cars Speeders


Locomotives

Locomotive No. 2

Locomotive Number 2

Click photo for larger image.

Builder
Heisler Locomotive Works, Erie, PA
Builders Number
1260
Built
1912
Acquired by SC and S
1982
Power
Coal fired steam
Drive
Geared
Drivers
33 inches

Further Information:

The locomotive was first owned by the Louise Lumber Co. in Hawkes, MS as Locomotive number 2.

In 1916, the same owners used it at Poplarville Saw Mill Co.,Poplarville, MS.

After that, it was owned by Lamb-Fish Lumber Co., Charleston, SC. In 1923 Turner-Farber-Love Co. in Charleston, MS acquired it and gave it the number 7. In 1928 it went to Santee River Hardwood Co., St. Stephens, SC.

It ran on the Maggie Valley Railroad from 1962 to 1974 where it once again wore the number 2. Then, it was sold to the Whitewater Valley Railroad, Connersville, IN.

The Stephenson County Antique Engine Club purchased the locomotive in 1982 and stored it at the Stephenson County Fairgrounds until 1986. By 1986, the club had built the Silver Creek and Stephenson Railroad and the engine was back in service.

Locomotive Number 3

Locomotive Number 3

Click photo for larger image.

Builder
Plymouth Locomotive Works, Plymouth, OH
Built
1938
Power
Gasoline
Drive
Mechanical
Horsepower
60
Weight
12 tons

Further Information:

Locomotive 3 was donated by Rockford Blacktop in Rockford Illinois.

Locomotive Number 5

Locomotive Number 5

Click photo for larger image.

Builder
Brookville Locomotive Works, Brookville, PA
Built
1945
Power
Gasoline to start, then diesel to run
Drive
Mechanical
Horsepower
150
Weight
14 Tons

Locomotive Number 7

Locomotive Number 7

Click photo for larger image.

Builder
Davenport Locomotive Works, Davenport, IA
Built
1954
Acquired by SC and S
2005
Power
Diesel
Drive
Mechanical (with torque converter)
Weight
44 tons

Further Information:

Locomotive number 7 was donated by the Cemex Cement company in Dixon, Illinois.

Return to Index

Cabooses

Caboose 14264

Caboose 14264

Click photo for larger image.

Original Railroad
Hannibal and St. Joe RR
Built
1889

Further Information:

Caboose 14264 is the oldest operating caboose in the state of Illinois, having been built in 1889 for the Hannibal and St. Joe Railroad. It has a steel underframe and wooden body. The beams in its trucks are also wood, making it the smoothest riding car on the Silver Creek and Stephenson. Wood absorbs shock better than steel.

Caboose 199002

Caboose 199002

Click photo for larger image.

Original Railroad
Illinois Central
Built
1948
Acquired by SC and S
1989

Caboose 991909

Caboose 991909

Click photo for larger image.

Original Railroad
Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific (The Milwaukee Road)
Built
1941
Acquired by SC and S
1985

Further Information:

The caboose was donated by club member Louie Lamm in 1985.

Return to Index

Open Cars

Green Flat Car

Green Flat Car

Click photo for larger image.

Original Railroad
United States Army
Acquired by SC and S
2008

Red Flat Car

Red Flat Car

Click photo for larger image.

Original Railroad
Union Pacific
Built
1951
Acquired by SC and S
2001
Length
42.5 feet

Blue Flat Car

Blue Flat Car

Click photo for larger image.

Original Railroad
Fiat-Allis plant in Springfield, IL
Acquired by SC and S
1986

Return to Index

Speeders

Large Speeder

Large Speeder

Click photo for larger image.

Manufacturer
Fairmont

Small Speeder

Small Speeder

Click photo for larger image.

Manufacturer
Fairmont

Return to Index